Leave of Absence (HRFI)

Only WUPs are eligible for travel leave for the purpose of research/teaching. Special feature - Lecturers/tutors/study assistants: In the case of these employment relationships, the application is excluded and, as a result, the settlement of travel allowances or reimbursement of expenses is not possible.

Leave of Absence for the purpose of research/teaching allows the WUP to spend a limited period of time (up to one month) away from the usual place of work for the purpose of research and/or teaching. The travel is in the interest of both the employer and the WUPs. During the period of the leave of absence, the WUPs are released from the performance of duties at the home university, but are active in research and/or teaching relevant to the subject at another location. Through the authorisation, the employees receive a legally absence from the workplace; ex:

  • Research activity at another domestic or foreign research institution (incl. industry)
  • Teaching activities (especially guest professorships)
  • Participation in a meeting or conference
  • Giving lectures at host universities

The granting of a leave of absence is subject to the condition that there is no important official reason to the contrary and that the proper operation of the University of Vienna is not impaired by the granting of the leave. The decision to grant leave of up to one month is the responsibility of the head of the organisational unit (dean). For leaves of absence of more than one month, the decision is incumbent on the university management.


  • leave of absence application for the purpose of research/teaching to be completed independently by applicants (AUP/WUP) on the online paper form and sent to the service email address: reisekosten.mathematik@univie.ac.at for approval of WUPs of the Institute of Mathematics; in the case of WUPs in the project area (third-party funding area), send to the responsible project manager. 
  • inform the WUPs of the Institute of Mathematics or the WUPs in the project area (third-party funding) about the approval or non-approval by reisekosten.mathematik@univie.ac.at or by the responsible project leader.
  • transmission of the approved online application by reisekosten.mathematik@univie.ac.at or by the responsible project leader. or by the responsible project leader to the following email address: manuela.frank@univie.ac.at. 4. travel leave application for the purpose of research/teaching must be approved via the HR-FI workflow and received by the Personnel Administration (Ms. Frank-Weber) at least two weeks before the start of the journey.
  • In the case of an application for an international A1 certificate for posting on business, the applicant must send the approved Leave of absence application to the service e-mail address: wien.zentralegruppe@bvaeb.sv.at including to him/herself. For more details, see A1 Certificate for posting on business.


  • The start of the journey is only possible after approval has been given.
  • The commencement of a travel activity without prior approval constitutes an unjustified absence from work and may result in consequences under labour and social security law.
  • In addition, there is no entitlement to reimbursement of expenses.
  • Subsequent recording of the leave of absence via HRFI is not possible.

Business trips, travel for research and/or teaching purposes and travel within the framework of third-party funded projects must be carried out in accordance with the principles of economic efficiency, expediency, economy, social and ecological sustainability and legality, whereby the CO2 footprint should be kept as low as possible. Accordingly, public transport should preferably be used. The University of Vienna requests its staff to give preference to rail travel over air travel and to refrain as far as possible from travelling by motorised vehicles.


  • Settlement before the end of employment without exception.
  • Settlement without exception within six months after the end of the travel activity.
  • Settlement of travel in the second half of the year, if possible by 31.12. of the respective calendar year at the latest.


  • Travel allowance - for more details, see the sub-item "Travel allowance" under Travel Management on the right or the button below.
  • Cost reimbursements -Q-Flow (via the Finance Department)
Click on the button below to access the online form: